All our clients have to agree to the following terms and conditions for the services we provide.
Payment Obligations, Renewals, and Cancellations
- Project start date will be determined from when you submit the “Von Media Project Planner” to us.
- Project Completion Time is not guaranteed, however 99% of our projects are finished within the completion time, we do get in touch with the client if we think that the project completion time will change.)
- Website Development Payment Obligations: Full payment will be charged before the design, navigation and pages have been approved and built. Final payment is due regardless of whether all content for the pages has been sent by the client. This provision is in place to encourage the client to get content submitted promptly so that their site can go live. It also ensures that Von Media gets paid for performing their duty under the proposal, despite tardy content from the client. After payment, Von Media will still post outstanding content AT NO CHARGE for the pre-defined Project Completion Time. In the event an “under construction” page is posted due to missing content, Von Media will post ONE copy of any text/pictures on existing pages only, for up to 3 months after publish date. After the Project Completion Time has expired, content posted to site will be billable at our current regular hourly rate. In the event that design and navigation changes are requested after they have been specifically approved by the client, these changes will be billable at our current regular hourly rate.
- Website Development Cancellation: If site design and development work has already begun (such as creating a design concept), then the payment is non-refundable. Von Media may elect at its sole discretion to offer a partial refund depending upon the circumstances.
- Stock Photography Payment Obligations: Stock photography includes most photos and/or images shall be provided by the client. Stock photography purchased on behalf of client for use in website development is billable at a minimum of $10 per picture. This amount is separate from the amount quoted for website design and development. Some pictures are more expensive than $10, in which case we will solicit client approval and communicate the price before purchasing.
- Description of Ongoing Costs: There are 2 types of ongoing costs: domain registration and hosting.
- Domain name registration: This cost recurs annually. Domain name registration gives you exclusive rights to a certain name, such as www.mygroup.org, so that you can use it for your web-based purposes. You are required to register a domain through us, we can transfer the domain to you if you ask. Many third-party services are not honest in the way they sell domain names and we spend a lot of time helping people re-secure rights to the name they thought they had already purchased. If you have registered your own name, make sure you have yourself as the Registrant and Administrative Contact with a current, easily accessible email address. This will help to ensure that your domain can be renewed or transferred should the need arise.
- Hosting: This cost recurs annually. Hosting places the domain name on a particular server connected to the web, which allows you to post a website for viewing through a browser. You are required to host through us, we can give the access to your hosting if you ask. Hosting comes with domain-based emails, bandwidth, storage space, database and security tools, and other features. Projects that involve custom programming must be hosted with Von Media to ensure the programs that we write will work. If you want to host your site on another server this must be disclosed before we begin programming.
- Hosting Renewal Payment Obligations: Since your website with us, your hosting account will be automatically renewed under the same time and plan without any extra fees unless you give written notice to Von Media fifteen (15) days before the renewal date that you do not wish to renew the account.
- Hosting Cancellation Payment Obligations: You may cancel at anytime. If you cancel before the first 30 days from the opening of your account and you have not submitted the “Von Media Project Planner”, please refer to the details under “Refund Policy“. If you cancel after the first 30 days and you have not submitted the “Von Media Project Planner” , no refund will be entertained for fees and charges accrued prior to the effective date of the cancellation. Accounts that are terminated by Von Media for abuse or violations of internet standards or these terms and conditions will not receive any refund. All cancellations must be received in writing according to the deadlines indicated: regular mail and e-mail are acceptable. Phone requests will not constitute acceptance of any cancellation. Refunds (if approved) will be issued back to you within 10 business days from your cancellation date.
- Hosting Transfer Payment Obligations: If you wish to transfer your hosting to another provider, then Von Media can, upon request, download your site onto a CD and post it to you. FTP access to your site is also available for transfer purposes. The cost for this service $50 per request.
- Limited 30-day Money Back Guarantee on Hosting: If you are not completely satisfied with the HOSTING within the first 30 days from the opening of the account, you will be given a refund on your hosting fee excluding setup fees and time accrued from setup date. If paid by credit card, refunds will be issued to the original credit card provided at the time of purchase. If your account has been cancelled by us due to a breach of the terms and conditions on your part, you will not be eligible for a refund. Domain name registration is non-refundable.
- Sites NOT Hosted by Von Media: Should client decide to host their site on another server, Von Media cannot guarantee the all elements of the site will work. Von Media will make a reasonable effort to research the problem on the foreign platform to let the client know what we think the problem is. However, we cannot take responsibility for problems caused by or on another hosting server, including but not limited to email, FTP, SSL, database, server software, and site security issues. If Von Media believes it will take a significant amount of time to fix the problem, we will advise the client before proceeding. In most cases, fixing problems on a foreign hosting server is billable.
- Website Maintenance: There are no required maintenance fees other than domain registration and hosting. Other than our maintenance, most people do some work on their site by themselves throughout the year. We can make certain parts of the site updatable by you by implementing a custom Content Management System. For work we do on the site after site completion, we don’t charge anything for basic content updates. If you expect that maintenance will be a regular occurrence, you can buy a prepaid maintenance contract that affords a discounted hourly rate. If need be, we can customize a maintenance plan for your particular needs, but no plan is required.
- Website Maintenance Payment Obligations: Depending upon the nature of the website changes, prepayment may be required. Should the client be invoiced after the changes are completed, the invoice is due upon receipt. If payment is not received within 7 days, the maintenance changes may be taken down until payment is received. After 7 days, there may also be a $50 reposting fee added to the outstanding maintenance invoice balance.
Training and Tutorials
- Homepage Design – Once the site design is approved by the client, usually via email consent, the design is considered ready for implementation. Should the client wish to make changes to a design they have approved, those changes are billable at our standard hourly rate.
- Navigation – Once site outline/map is approved by the client, usually via email consent, the site navigation is considered ready for implementation. Combined with the approved graphic design, this becomes the site structure. Once we build this structure per client approval, any subsequent changes are billable at our standard hourly rate.
- Content – Provision of content is customer’s responsibility, unless specifically negotiated ahead of time as part of the project proposal.
- Text content – Copy for all website pages and links needs to be delivered digitally and should be carefully proof-read by the client. Two rounds of revisions will be provided free of charge. Subsequent revisions will be billable at our regular hourly rate.
- Content development – Von Media develops fresh content for our clients based on interviews with them. Should client wish Von Media to develop new content for the site, website content is billable at our regular hourly rate. Development of content is accomplished via Von Media interviewing the client about the topic areas to be addressed on the new content. Shortgrass then composes appropriate content, submits to the client for review, edit, and approval. Approved content is then posted to the web pages.
- Graphical content – Images outside of the website design must be provided in digital form or in a form that can be easily scanned, unless otherwise provided for in customer’s contract. Subsequent revisions will be billable at our regular hourly rate.
- Database Implementation – Entry of data for database applications is considered client’s responsibility. Entry of data by Von Media is billable, unless otherwise provided for in customer’s contract.
- Email - We offer free domain-based email accounts to our clients as part of any hosting contract. If site is not hosted by Von Media, we take no responsibility for setting up and troubleshooting email problems.
- Training – For websites with administrative control panels or content management systems, two (2) one-hour training sessions will be provided.
- Technical Support - We offer local and long-distance phone support to our clients. We do not normally bill for technical support depending on the source of the problem, its severity, and our time invested. If Von Media is not the source of the problem, technical support may be billable.
Because customer service is in integral part of our business strategy, all of our projects include a one-time complimentary training session in order for our clients to better make use of their new web technology. Additional training hours can be purchased at our standard hourly rate or applied against your existing maintenance contract.
Domain Transfers and DNS Management
For domains not originally registered with Von Media, there will be a $25 fee to either transfer to the domain into our registration platform, or to transfer-out to another registrar. If your domain is not registered with Von media, DNS management and troubleshooting tasks are billable at our hourly rate.
Websites with Proprietary Source Code
Should client contract with Von Media to write custom code for a website application, this code is not transferable to a new developer or host. Custom written source code is considered the property of Von Media and cannot be shared with other developers. Clients are granted a license to use custom software code while on Von Media servers only. Von Media retains ownership of the code. In some cases, Von Media will install software for the client’s use that has been built by a third party. Examples include WordPress blog software, FCK editor software, shopping carts, photo galleries, etc. In these instances, clients will be subject to the terms and conditions of the third party who owns the software, and may use the software as a licensee only. No ownership rights of any kind are transferred to the client. Access to or transfer of proprietary source code could result in a security risk to Von Media and its clients who are running similar pieces of code. In order to provide custom software development services, clients give us access to private and/or sensitive information, trade secrets, proprietary pricing and business methods. If clients believed that we may be sharing this information with outside developers, they could lose faith that we are protecting their proprietary information. Therefore, neither access nor transfer of any code built for any purpose that is unique and not commonly and publicly available can be granted. Should client want us to build software to run on another server, it must be disclosed upfront and specifically contracted for. Website components that ARE transferable to another host include html code, graphics, logos, pictures, navigation, text, and the data residing within a database (but not the code). Hourly fees will apply for any special work that needs to be done to transfer those parts of website that do not violate the other paragraphs in this section.
Von Media maintains and troubleshoots the websites we develop for our clients, as well as any domain-based email accounts of those websites. We do NOT assume responsibility for upkeep or provide non-billable troubleshooting on our clients’ ISPs (Internet Service Providers), ISP-based email accounts (firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
, etc), your home or office internet connections, or any other non-domain-based issues outside Von Media’s realm of service. Provision of non-domain-based troubleshooting services will be billable at our normal hourly rate.